{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety products Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Requirements for scaffolding on work sites

Throughout 2019 and 2020 SafeWork NSW inspectors have been and will continue in 2021 to focus on scaffolding under a compliance program called ‘Operation Scaff Safe’. This is part of a SafeWork NSW campaign to reduce fatalities and serious injuries resulting from falls from heights. What are the requirements for scaffolding and where can you go for further assistance?

Do I need a licence to build scaffold? 

Yes. A person undertaking scaffolding work must hold an appropriate licence to do that work or be supervised by a licensed person while carrying out that work. 

Scaffolding work means:

‘erecting, altering or dismantling a temporary structure that is or has been erected to support a platform and from which a person or object could fall more than four metres from the platform or the structure’.

This means that where the deck height of the scaffold is more than four metres from ground or the surface below, a licensed scaffolder must be used. 

In some situations the exact height may not be clear – for example, if a scaffold is built near deep excavations or near other objects that appear as though they would break a person’s fall. The regulation and codes of practice do not specifically explain how to deal with such situations. These instances should be considered and dealt with on a case-by-case basis. If you are unsure, it may be safest to take the conservative approach and use a licensed scaffolder. 

Where a scaffold is required to be built by a licensed scaffolder the scaffold and its supporting structure must be inspected by a licensed scaffolder: 

  • at least every 30 days 
  • before the scaffold is used after an incident has occurred that may reasonably be expected to affect the stability of the scaffold, and 
  • before the scaffold is used after repairs. 

Any alterations to the scaffold must only be carried out by a licensed scaffolder. 

Scaffold under four metres 

Building scaffolding from which a person or object could fall four metres or less does not require a licence. However, it is the responsibility of the person in charge to make sure that workers carrying out scaffolding work at any height are adequately trained and competent to do so safely. 

Any work carried out where a person can fall two metres or more also requires a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) to be completed before work commences. 

Where can I find further information? 

You can check a scaffold worker’s licence validity at the NSW government’s Licence Check website.

Specific guidance on scaffolds including the safe use of trestle and plank scaffolds and scaffold checklists can be found in the Preventing Falls In Housing Construction Code of Practice.

The Pocket Guide To Construction Safety also contains scaffold checklists for use. 

To find out more, contact HIA's Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your safety


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

AS 1562.1:2018 Design and installation of metal roof and wall cladding, Part 1: Metal

This Standard provides designers and installers with the minimum design requirements for correct and safe design and installation of sheet metal roof and wall cladding.

SA HB 39:2015 Installation code for metal roof and wall cladding

This Handbook provides information and guidelines on the selection, performance and installation of metal roof and wall cladding. Although the fixing details for roof drainage systems relate mainly to steel, though it can also be ...

AS 2050:2018 Installation of Roof Tiles

This Standard provides installers of roof tiles with specifications covering the placement and installation of roof tiles for use in domestic, commercial or light industrial applications.

AS 4576:2020 Guidelines for scaffolding

This Standard gives practical guidance for the training and certification of scaffolders, the preparation of sites for scaffolding, and the safe selection, supply, erection, alteration, dismantling, maintenance, inspection and use...