{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Employer duties and obligations at work in Victoria

The information below has been prepared to provide HIA members with information on some of the key workplace health and safety obligations that apply to employers under Victorian occupational health and safety (OHS) legislation for construction work. It is based on guidance material provided by Worksafe Victoria.

Duties for construction work

 In addition to general duties under the OHS Act, duties under the OHS legislation relating to specific hazards and other OHS issues affecting all workplaces, employers have the following duties where construction work is being undertaken: 

  • The employer must manage the risks to the health and safety of all the employees and subcontractors within their control and anyone else affected by their work
  • An employer must eliminate, reduce or control any risk so far as is reasonably practicable and ensure that the measures implemented are regularly reviewed, in consultation with workers and Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs)
  • The employer must ensure that a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) is prepared prior to commencing any high-risk construction work and that the work is done in accordance with the SWMS, which must be kept for the duration of the work. The SWMS must also be reviewed whenever the high-risk work changes, or there is reason to believe that the risk control measures are not adequate
  • The employer must ensure that workers have received construction induction training before undertaking any construction work and a site induction before commencing work on a specific site.

Frequently asked questions regarding duties and obligations

Can an employer also be the principal contractor?

Yes. However, you must undertake the legal duties of both the employer and the principal contractor.

I’m self-employed. What do I need to do?

You must comply with the legislation in the same way as an employer.

Self-employed people will work in situations where they may put people at risk on site, so it is necessary to identify hazards and control risks associated with your work.

Self-employed people must complete construction induction training. They must also ensure that a SWMS is prepared prior to starting any high-risk construction work and that construction induction and site-specific training are completed by any independent contractors that you engage. 

Does all construction work need an SWMS?

No. An SWMS is only required when high-risk construction work is being undertaken and someone’s health or safety could be at risk because of the work.

Preparing an SWMS is part of the planning of the work. It helps employers think through the hazards and risks involved in the work and to choose effective control measures in consultation with employees, HSRs and contractors and their employees so far as is reasonably practicable. If the work does not involve a risk to anyone, an SWMS does not have to be prepared. 

Who must develop an SWMS? 

It is the employer’s responsibility to prepare, maintain and revise the SWMS as necessary and keep a copy for as long as the high-risk work is being done. 

What must be included in the SWMS?

An SWMS includes:

  • a list of the types of high-risk construction work being done
  • the health and safety hazards and risks arising from the work
  • a description of how the risks will be controlled, and
  • a description of how the risk control measures will be put in place.

Can I prepare one generic SWMS for use across multiple sites? 

An SWMS needs to deal with the specific hazards and risks on the site where the high-risk construction work is being done. A pre-prepared generic SWMS is unlikely to meet the  requirements unless it has been reviewed in light of the hazards and risks on the specific site and amended as necessary.

When do I need to give my workers a site induction?

Employers must ensure that anyone employed to do construction work is given OHS training about the particular workplace where the work will be done before they start work on the site.

What are my responsibilities on a construction project?

The legislation creates a special health and safety role for principal contractors of construction projects worth $350,000 or more.

The principal contractor must:

  • display a sign with their name and contact phone number where it can be clearly seen from outside the workplace
  • prepare a health and safety coordination plan and keep it up to date
  • make the coordination plan available for inspection, and
  • ensure that new starters are aware of, and can access, the coordination plan.

To find out more, contact HIA’s Safety Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Managing your safety topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Contracts Online 

The industry’s go-to digital platform. 

No matter the size of the job, a watertight building contract is critical to protect your business, and the current climate presents a great opportunity to go digital with your contracts.

Take me there