Skip to main content

COVID-19: Victorian Border Bubble Changes

August 01, 2021

Today the Victorian Government announced changes to the Victorian/NSW border bubble. This is important information for many of our members who reside in border areas and cross the border to work on residential building sites or in offices. 

What are the new border arrangements?

From tomorrow night at 11.59pm, Tuesday 3 August 2021, Victorian residents within the border bubble will only be able to travel to the NSW side of the border for essential reasons.

NSW residents residing in the border bubble that wish to enter Victoria’s side of the border will also only be able to enter for essential reasons. 

What are the essential reasons? 

These include: 

  • Work (including paid or voluntary) 
  • To receive necessary goods and services, including medical care and getting a COVID-19 test
  • Education (including childcare and early childhood services)
  • To receive the COVID-19 vaccine
  • Sport and exercise at a sporting club or at a sport or physical recreation facility (excluding alpine resorts) 

Residents travelling for one of the essential reasons and crossing the border will not need a permit to travel within the border bubble but should carry identification (such as a drivers licence) with them at all times when travelling. 

The changes also means that Victorian border bubble residents will not be able to cross the border into NSW to visit a friend, go to a restaurant or go on a holiday. 

I live on the Victorian side of the bubble - can I travel to the NSW side of the bubble?

Yes, but only if you are crossing the border for one of the essential reasons. You are also required to stay within the NSW cross border area. 

If you travel beyond this area, you will be required to obtain a red zone permit upon re-entry to Victoria. 

I live on the NSW side of the bubble - can I travel to the Victorian side of the bubble? 

Yes. NSW border bubble residents can enter Victoria for any of the essential reasons outlined above. However you are required to stay within the Victorian cross-border area. 

If you have travelled into a red zone outside the cross-border bubble in NSW you will not be permitted to enter Victoria.

If you wish to travel beyond the border bubble into Victoria you will require a permit. 

What are the local government areas in the border bubble? 

A current list of local government areas in the border bubble.

While there are no changes to the list, the Victorian Government continues to regularly review the LGAs and may amend the list from time to time based on Government health advice. 

Residents in the border bubble should continue visiting the website for updated cross border community information.  

HIA will continue to keep members informed as more information becomes available.