{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Insights Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance HIA Insurance Services Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer How do I apply? Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand Professional development courses A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Further your career Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety documents Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Help Centre

We're here to help. This is your first port of call whenever you need assistance with using our products and services or even the simplest enquiry.

Help Centre

We're here to help. This is your first port of call whenever you need assistance with using our products and services or even the simplest enquiry.

Search frequently asked questions
$vuetify.icon.faTimes Clear Results

{{ error.message }}

{{ question }}

{{ truncatedAnswer }}

Learn more $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight

Contracts & compliance questions

Which contract should I use?
{{ propApi.expandedIcon }} {{ propApi.collapsedIcon }}

HIA offers a comprehensive suite of building contracts suitable for a variety of project types.

Search our library of contract resources and articles or purchase a contract from our wide range designed for any residential building job, large or small.

You can also manage your HIA contracts with Contracts Online, our hassle-free online platform.

If you're wondering which contract you should use in your state, check out our detailed guides for Western Australia, Tasmania, Victoria or New South Wales.

Can I terminate a building contract?
{{ propApi.expandedIcon }} {{ propApi.collapsedIcon }}
Circumstances may come up that might lead you to consider ending a building contract. Equally a homeowner or client might approach you to discuss if they can terminate the contract.

These types of situations need to be carefully considered.
Read more
How much sick leave is my employee entitled to?
{{ propApi.expandedIcon }} {{ propApi.collapsedIcon }}

The yearly entitlement for sick leave (also known as personal leave) is based on an employee’s ordinary hours of work and is 10 days for full-time employees, and pro-rata for part-time employees.

Calculate your employees leave balance

Read more

My contractor doesn’t have an ABN, should I pay them?
{{ propApi.expandedIcon }} {{ propApi.collapsedIcon }}

Yes, even if your contractor does not have an ABN you should still pay them. However, you will need to withhold 47 per cent of the amount due and include that amount in your next BAS or IAS.

Find out more about what to do when a contractor hasn’t provided an ABN.

Read more

What is a Director Identification Number?
{{ propApi.expandedIcon }} {{ propApi.collapsedIcon }}

A Director Identification Number (DIN) is a unique identifier that all company directors need.

If you are a director of a company and haven’t applied for your DIN, read more about what you need to know.

Read more

What is a preliminary agreement?
{{ propApi.expandedIcon }} {{ propApi.collapsedIcon }}

A preliminary agreement is an agreement for a builder to carry out certain preliminary work before committing to a residential or domestic building contract.

This agreement is a stand-alone written agreement, that does not cover any domestic or residential building work but might deal with things such as getting plans and specifications drawn up or obtaining the necessary building or planning approvals.

Having a preliminary agreement in place helps ensure you get paid for work you carry out prior to commencing any residential or domestic building work.

Read more

People frequently search for...
Engineered stone Building Certificate IV Contracts Online Australian Standards Waterproofing Home of the Year
More searched terms $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight

Got a question? We're here to help.

What information are you looking for?

Building codes and regulations
Dispute resolution
Business compliance