{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services HIA SafeScan Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Security of Payment - Overview

Security of payment laws provide for the rapid adjudication of payment disputes in the building and construction industry.

This information sheet provides an overview of the requirements of Building and Construction Industry (Security of Payment) Act 2021 (WA) (SOP Act) and how they relate to the residential building industry. The SOP Act establishes:

  • A statutory right to progress payments.
  • Requirements for construction contracts, including prohibited and unfair terms.
  • A process for making and responding to payment claims.
  • An adjudication process for disputed and unpaid claims.
  • A process for appeals and enforcement of adjudications.
  • A framework for adjudicators and nominating bodies.
  • That in some cases retention monies are deemed to be held on trust.

What types of contracts does the SOP Act cover?

The SOP Act applies to contracts for construction work or related goods and services.  

The SOP Act does not cover contracts for home building work valued under $500,000, between individual homeowners and builders or contractors.

HIA has further information available on the coverage of the SOP Act.

When will the SOP Act commence?

The SOP Act will apply to construction contracts signed after 1 August 2022.

For contracts signed before this date, the Construction Contracts Act 2004 (CCA) will continue to apply. 

The CCA is not the same as the SOP Act, and the processes and application of the CCA and SOP Act are fundamentally different. If your contract is covered by the CCA, this and other information on the SOP Act will not apply.

If you require further information on the CCA, or if you are unsure which Act applies, please contact the HIA Workplace Services Team.

Contracts must comply with the SOP Act

Contracts that are covered by the SOP Act will need to meet certain requirements. For example, contracts must:

  • Be in writing where they are valued over $20,000.
  • List the parties names, scope and registration information.
  • Not include prohibited provisions.

HIA has further information available on the requirements for construction contracts under the SOP Act.

Claiming payment under the SOP Act

The SOP Act establishes a statutory right to make progress claims under a construction contract. This means that if you are carrying out construction work, you are permitted to make a payment claim for the work you have carried out, or services or goods you have provided, up to the date of the claim. The right applies regardless of whether it is addressed in your contract.

There is no requirement to make a claim under the SOP Act. However, if you choose to make a payment claim under the SOP Act it must comply with certain requirements.

If you decide not to make a claim under the SOP Act you are still entitled to be paid if you have made a claim that complies with your contract.

Responding to a payment claim

If a contractor (claimant) makes a claim for payment from their client (respondent), the respondent is required to pay the claim or provide the claimant with a payment schedule setting out the reasons why they disagree with all or part of the claim.

The payment schedule must be served upon the claimant in the required timeframe. If this is not done, the respondent is required to pay the claimant within the relevant timeframe and if the claimant makes an application for adjudication, the respondent will not have the opportunity to respond.

What is adjudication?

If a payment claim is not paid on time, or if the amount paid is less that what was listed on the payment schedule, the claimant may apply for adjudication of the claim. The adjudication system allows for the appointment of an independent adjudicator to assess the claim and to make a determination on the unpaid amounts.

There are strict timeframes applicable throughout the adjudication process.

The SOP Act also includes a system for adjudicators to review determinations if the value of the claim is over a prescribed amount.

Will deemed statutory retention trusts apply to my business?

From 1 February 2023 construction contracts worth over $1 million that require retention money to be withheld must place those funds into a dedicated bank account. Those funds will be deemed under the SOP Act to be held on trust.

To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

WA Addenda to Specification - Form 12

This addenda is sold separately from the WA Specification for Brick or Framed Construction document. These two items make up a set, although some builders have the HIA specification only and add their own addenda. The standard spe...

WA Cost Plus Contract - Form 13D (Pack of 2)

This contract is used for residential constructions works on a cost plus basis, not a lump sum ‘fixed price’. Costs are totalled and a percentage or fixed sum added for administration, supervision and profit. It allows for project...

WA Claim for Extension of Time - Form 5 (Pad of 30)

Builders wanting an extension of time for completing work will need this WA Claim for Extension of Time pad, which includes 30 sheets. This product complies with Western Australian legislation as the builder must advise the client...

WA HBCA Lump Sum Contract - Form 16K (Pack of 2)

The WA HBCA Lump Sum Contract – Form 16J contract (pack of two) is suitable for work over $7500 and less than $500,000, which requires a written, signed contract to comply with provisions of the Home Building Contracts Act 1991. A...

WA Practical Completion Certificate - Form 14 (Pad of 30)

The Western Australian Certificate of Practical Completion (pad of 30) enables builders to list work that may be required following a joint pre-handover inspection by the owner and builder. This is a hard copy version of the docum...

WA Job Quotation - Form 9 (Pad of 25)

The Western Australian Job Quotation Form (pad of 25) is suitable for sub-contractors to list their conditions. It's carbonised and individually numbered and dated. It's suitable as a contract for works under $7500.

WA Alterations & Additions Contract - Form 38E (Pack of 2)

The WA Alterations & Additions Contract – Form 38E (pack of two) is designed specifically for use on alterations, additions and renovations over $7500 and less than $500,000 and complies with the Home Building Contracts Act (HBCA)...

WA Pre-Fabricated Homes Contract - Form 45C (Pack of 2)

The WA Pre-fabricated Homes Contract – Form 45C (pack of two) has been designed specifically for use with modular or transportable homes.

WA Specification Brick & Framed Construction - Form 7 (Pack of 2)

The WA Specification for Brick or Framed Construction document (pack of two) provides a detailed description of quality of materials or workmanship, working drawings, details and other contract documents, to achieve an accurate co...

WA Variation to Contract - Form 1 (Pad of 30)

The WA Variation to Contract – Form 1 details changes or variations to works requiring an update to the contract between builder and owner. It can also be used for variations between builder and sub-contractor. This is a hard cop...

WA Small Works Contract - Form 10A (Pad of 25)

The WA Small Works contract (pad of 25 and in duplicate) has been designed specifically for projects $7500 in value or less (where the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 does not apply). This contract is simple to use, carbonated an...