Renovating a kitchen, bathroom or laundry can be an exciting and emotional time for a homeowner. Choosing the right builder and the right products and finishes is very important. But finding the right contract is vital, and HIA can help. HIA can offer advice, as well as a suitable contract.
Once the plans are finalised, there can be pressure to finish the project quickly. Homeowners also often expect the builder to use specific materials to create that perfect kitchen or bathroom. In some cases those materials may even be supplied by the homeowner themselves.
To add to the complexity, renovating a kitchen or bathroom will often require the builder to share the site (a home), with the homeowner. Having a clear understanding of how these interactions will work and the associated expectations is vital to ensuring that the job goes smoothly.
With this pressure, complexity and emotion in mind, members should protect themselves and the homeowner by using a compliant contract.
The HIA Kitchen, Bathroom and Laundry Contract has been developed in each state to ensure compliance with the law and to also reflect industry best practice.
The contract is an easy way to ensure that:
• the correct deposit is charged
• the contract period is clearly defined
• progress stages are set out in advance
• the process for variations and time delays are prescribed
• the expectations in relation to the access to and use of facilities in the house are clear
• if things go irrevocably wrong, there is a clear process for suspending and/or terminating the contract.