{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Determining bushfire risk

If you are proposing to build a residential or habitable building in a designated bushfire-prone area, it’s highly likely you will have to address additional bushfire planning and/or building requirements.

Determining risk of bushfire

If you are planning on building a residential or habitable building in a designated bushfire-prone area, how do you determine if the lot you are building on is bushfire prone? 

The Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) Map of Bush Fire Prone Areas is a state-wide map that identifies the parts of the state that are bushfire prone. You can find out if you are in a designated bushfire-prone area by looking up your address on the map. If any part of your property is shaded ‘pink’ on the map you are within a designated bushfire-prone area. 

This map is updated every year on 1 May, but any newly marked areas will not be subject to the bushfire requirements until 1 October in the same year. 

Conducting a Bushfire Attack Level assessment

If you are building a house in a designated bushfire-prone area and your property has been designated as bushfire-prone by the Map of Bush Fire Prone Areas you will need to undertake a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) assessment before you can commence development. 

Since 2016 a BAL Contour Map that illustrates indicative BAL ratings across the entire site has been required as part of all subdivision applications. 

If you are comfortable the Bushfire Contour Map is accurate you can rely on this information in your building application by indicating which ring the building will be located in.

As a guide, an assessment more than 12 months old might need to be looked at again. 

The most accurate bushfire rating will be one done once you have determined the building location. Undertaking the assessment at this time will ensure that the current state of vegetation is captured, including any further clearing that may have occurred. However, there is also the risk that vegetation may have grown and the rating may increase. 

You need to be aware that some Local Development Plans (LDPs) also prescribe site-specific BAL levels. Where this has occurred the BAL can only be changed by gaining a development approval – even if you have had a BAL assessment done that gives a different BAL rating for the site. Where you think there is an inconsistency, it’s best to speak with the planners who developed the LDP and seek their feedback on why that is the case prior to applying for a development approval for change. 

To find out more, contact HIA’s Planning and Environment team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support

HIA Tradepass


HIA Tradepass takes the hassle out of collecting and verifying contractor business information and registrations. Developed by HIA specifically to suit the needs of residential builders.

  • Save time and money – get on site quicker
  • Less time on paperwork and more time building

Take me there